Thursday, September 23, 2010

Equality when it comes to owees

Have we become too complacent about Band-Aids? When I have to wear one, I think it should match my outfit.

After all, my shoes coordinate with my purse. My earrings are the same color as my necklace. My blouse matches my skirt. Why not Band-Aids, too?

I'd like an entire set of bright pink, red, yellow, orange and chartruse Band-Aids to go with my summer apparel and earthtones to coordinate with my fall wardrobe.

There's just something so dull and clinical about wearing a plain old skin-colored Band-Aid. And, I think the people at Band-Aid headquarters have been slow to respond to the latest trends.

Just look at i-pods, cell phones and BlackBerries. They have color and patterns. Even food packaging these days is hip. Why not Band-Aids.

What about paisley, plaid and polka-dot ones to spruce up the look of our paper cuts?

I did some checking into this and found out that kids have it made when it comes to the Band-Aid cool factor.

When children get an "owee," they have their choices of Hello Kitty, Toy Story, Disney Princess, Disney Cars, Star Wars, Hot Wheels and Ben 10 Tattoo bandages. How come adults don't have choices?

I can't tell you how tempted I am to purchase a box of Strawberry Shortcake Band-Aids just for myself. The only problem is I don't know how I'd explain these to my husband and coworkers.

Up until now, I hadn't thought much about the movie stars adults would enjoy in their boxes of 60 ultra-thin, breathable bandages. And, what about sports stars or historical figures?

Come to think of it,I wouldn't mind having Brad Pitt wrapped around my little finger. That sure would make any bruises seem a whole lot better.

How about George Clooney or Leonardo DiCaprio? Now, we're talking serious Band-Aids!

For men with razor cuts, they could stick on Pamela Anderson, Angelina Jolie or Marilyn Monroe, instead of those ugly patches of toilet tissue.

The fact of the matter is Band-Aid big wigs need to spend a whole lot more time in the Board Room on bandage strategies for adults. After all, we get hurt, too. I hope they're listening.

2010 © Copyright Paula Damon. A resident of Southeast South Dakota, Paula Damon is a national and state award-winning columnist. Her columns have won first-place in National Federation of Press Women, South Dakota Press Women and Iowa Press Women Communications Contests. In the 2009 and 2010 South Dakota Press Women Communications Contest, Paula's columns took first-place awards statewide. To contact Paula, email pauladamon@iw.net, follow her blog at www.my-story-your-story.blogspot.com and find her on Facebook.

No comments: